Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updates!!! And a Tradeshow and a Mani

Okay, so I haven't been blogging lately, and rather than wait until I have a huuuuuuge amount of time (which may be never) for me to catch you up on my updates since December, I figured I'd just jump right back in and talk about what I did today.


So... what's new since I last posted? LOTS. Let's see where I'll start...
1) I'm currently living in Manhattan as a student at Parsons the New School. <3 What an amazing, amazing blessing!
2) During my first month in the US, I was living in Jersey City and moved to Manhattan after my first week of school so that was a busy time for me.
3) The first three weeks of school has been crazy, and the amount of work staggering, but I do enjoy meeting and learning from my professors and classmates. I think it was the second or third day of school when I had the big revelation that I came to the right school -- what a huge relief after months of seesawing back and forth and paralyzing analysis. It reminds me of some eight years ago when I couldn't accept I was in Ateneo de Manila until one day, I looked in the mirror and saw an Atenista. Haha.
4) My learning curve ever since I arrived has been steep, and I am loving every moment of it -- okay, maybe not this week when I lost my brand new phone :( -- not just with regards to the fashion industry, but about myself too -- what I like and don't like, what I'm willing to live without (dining table) and what I absolutely need (decent bed). The biggest challenge I've been slowly getting over is learning to let go of my Plan A when it doesn't work out and accepting Plan B or C or D as fast as my brain and emotions can manage.

I don't have a lot of photos since they were pretty much on my phone, but I'll post today's events. A friend and I went to Soho to do research for our class, after which we headed to a trade show in Lower East Side called Capsule.


It was filled with local designers and I was surprised that I spent most of the time looking at jewelry instead of clothes. We especially liked these from Phyllis+Rose Jewelry.


I fell in love with these bangles in rose gold, silver, and yellow gold. They looked so organic, so raw yet luxurious and you can wear a single one or a couple in mixed metals. I wanted to buy a whole bunch right there!!!


Phyllis+Rosie Jewelry's CEO and designer Alana Blank (right) and COO Rachel Lavipour (left).


After walking around and talking to several designers, we spotted a manicure booth in the middle of the show. Who could pass up a FREE manicure in Manhattan? Not us! ;p



Arden chose a cool speckled design against white.


I think it went perfectly with her look.


The weather was soooooo gorgeous outside that we had to take photos of the skyline before we headed home. It was a warm 11 degrees Celsius (I never thought I'd say 11 degrees is warm!) compared to the freezing month we had.



Field work, Mexican lunch, trade show, manicure. We got a lot done today! And now, homework ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...