Saturday, November 16, 2013

This Home is Temporary

I haven't been posting updates as much as I should lately, because I've been busy preparing for something big... and I didn't want to talk about it until it's becoming really real (as in, not just in my head.) I'm going to New York next year!!!! :) I'll give more details about this in a separate post.



Now that I've gotten my visa -- yet another miraculous story waiting to be told -- my trip is all becoming a concrete reality. Yes, even after months of other people accepting that I'm going away and being very excited for me, I've just recently come to terms with it. So I finally contacted the broker my friend recommended me months ago and I told him what I was looking for. I was sitting on the floor of my walk-in closet (funnily, WiFi is limited to this area in my room), looking for apartments online when the realization hit me hard: my NY quarters -- bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and all -- will most likely be smaller than my current bedroom. Gasp. How spoiled of me, huh? What prompted this thought was counting all my blessings...


I have a beautiful, spacious, albeit messy room in a beautiful, sunlit, well-ventilated home maintained by joyful, efficient house help.


After renovation (above), I now have a large closet that could fit more clothes if I went crazy shopping. This was my makeshift wardrobe when my room was being renovated a few years ago. (Thank God I have since taken out half its contents and have been more selective in what goes into my new closet.)


I have a comfortable lifestyle in Manila and am surrounded by loved ones and friends. (Even if no one's listening while I'm talking so I have no choice but to just read, like below. Huhu.)


I am surrounded by nature and am a few hours' drive to the beach. A horizon that includes the sun, sand, and the deep blue sea just warms my heart that only a few other experiences can. No, not even shopping comes remotely close! ;)


I have a career that allows me to work on the beach as well as give me a flexible schedule to take personal trips to the beach, should I like. Here on our beautiful set, which no human hand nor advanced technology can ever replicate!


Etcetera etcetera...

And then, just as I count all the ways I am comfortable and attached to this place, my home, my beloved Philippines, God revealed to me my misguided, idolatrous attachment to my temporary home. In light of the recent typhoon Haiyan, locally named Yolanda, my home could be lost in a flash as with a wave or a single shake of the earth. (Our house is located along the Marikina fault line.) Inasmuch as I love my home, my family, my hometown Manila, and the Philippines, and inasmuch as I am excited to make my second home in New York over the next few months, I know my true home, my eternal home is with my Father in heaven.

In my current state, I have been basking in the beauty of the trees that I have failed to acknowledge the Source of light that makes them so ethereal. It's all a matter of perspective!


Jesus says, Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going. -- John 14:1-4

Do you think I'm still concerned about packing and looking for a decent apartment and continuously mentally preparing myself for traveling and living alone? You bet. But by God's grace, I am also settling into a peaceful state of mind, knowing that whatever the challenges, this is all a mist, and the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...