Thursday, October 17, 2013

Walking and Sewing and Praying

I know it's not a big deal to walk -- like, duh, people commute all the time -- but I've been so used to sitting a lot the past few weeks (in traffic too!) that I decided to take the physical and visual route to sewing class. I parked in SM Megamall, which was two blocks away.

Ten steps out of my car, I thought to myself, why on earth is my bag soooo heavy? Well, I better get used to walking and carrying loads of stuff as I prepare for a very exciting 2014! Thank you, Lord, for legs that can move and eyes that can see your goodness! These days, I keep on pushing myself to do things that are inconvenient or uncomfortable for me so I can move forward and upward. And yes, I talk to myself a LOT ;)



Thankfully, it was really sunny and breezy as I briskly made my way. I timed myself. Twelve minutes; not bad! Father, thank you for keeping me safe. As I sat down to catch my breath, I realized that the brief exercise on my untrained body was no match for the challenge that lay ahead: sewing.


During the previous session, I had started my first project, an unlined skirt, and encountered the roadblock of sewing the zipper. The challenge lay in attaching both sides of the zipper evenly so that when zipped up, the cloth would not pucker. As I am still in the stages of perfecting a straight stitch and consistent foot pressure, my stitching was so bad that I had to rip out the stitches twice!

This day, I prayed, Lord, let me nail it this time, please. I even practiced on a scrap piece to make sure I can sew a straight line. On my third try on the zipper, it was "good enough" for my teacher who probably felt bad for me had she asked me to do it again. Haha.


The perfectionist in me can see that teeny wrinkle at the end of the zipper, but it's nothing I can't iron out! And if it's something I've learned to enjoy doing this year, it's ironing ;p One student, a stranger, saw my skirt and exclaimed, "your skirt is ironed so well!" Hmmmm, thanks? I'll take any compliment I can get! Then I realized, Father, thank you for the countless opportunities I've ironed and steamed this year! It's all been put to good use!


As I received instruction to sew exactly beneath the waistband, I continued praying, Lord God, please help me sew straight. I haven't been consistently sewing straight lines and this is going to be a really long section.


It may sound silly to some people to ask God for help on such trivial matters, but I've learned that talking to Him about these little things throughout the day makes our relationship so much sweeter, because I learn to depend on HIM and not on my severely limited capabilities.


Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. -- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Hope you're having a great Thursday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...