Sunday, October 13, 2013

Glitter, Lace, and Velvet -- A Personal Shopping Experience and A Lesson on Worry

I just got home from a personal shopping experience -- my first with someone who is not a friend or a family member -- and I'm blessed beyond words. This photo is just a sneak peek at what my bride Josephine bought for our prenup shoot scheduled later this week. Various textures such as glitter, lace, and velvet are really sexy despite the conservatively cut dresses that we chose.


I'm sharing this experience because this afternoon is an answered prayer, proof that my God, my Father, delights to bless those He calls His children.
When my client booked me a month ago for her prenup shoot, I said yes right away. Then she told me she was size XL, and I wondered -- yes, worried -- where I would get clothes as I only had smaller sizes in my wardrobe. Two weeks passed without finding a solution. Then God sent me a friend who suggested that I go shopping with my client for her wardrobe. I prayed she would be receptive, and she was! That was blessing # 1. It's not something I take lightly because my client lives in Quezon, which is a 3-hour drive from Manila, and I was concerned she would not want to make an extra trip here.

This afternoon, blessing upon blessing came upon me:
1) that I had time to scour the racks for outfits and load up my cart before the client arrived. Thank you, Lord, that despite the horrendous line getting in the parking lot on a busy Sunday afternoon, it was relatively easy to find a slot.
2) that when my client arrived, we found a more spacious, less-populated fitting room so we could fit all our clothes uninterrupted! Thank you, Father, for the wisdom to search for a better fitting room so we didn't have to squish in the small one where everyone decided to go!
3) that the sales staff were so helpful to exchange sizes and bring their suggested designs
4) that in a span of just ONE hour, my client, ever quick to change -- God bless her! -- had tried on 11 dresses, 4 tops, 3 skirts. I helped make it efficient by letting her try dresses first, then separates, but I was so happy that she took so little time to change.
5) that my client is soooooo easy to talk to, that she wasn't fussy or demanding
6) that she turned out to be a size L, not an XL, that we didn't buy a single thing from the plus-size brands -- Yay! -- and she looked slim and sexy in everything we bought
7) that she enjoyed the experience and was surprised at how easily we fit, edited what to buy, and paid
8) that more than a decade of shopping experience with my ever-efficient and stylish mother helped me be efficient and judicious with our choices as well

From my worries that I'd flop as a stylist for this particular shoot, God smoothed away every wrinkle. The beautiful irony is that when I was waiting in line to enter the parking lot, I flipped my Bible to Matthew 6 and started memorizing these verses that I had told a worrywart friend to read just yesterday (words in parentheses my own addition):

Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you (or your client!) will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air. They do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

And why do you worry about clothes (and your client's clothes)? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matthew 6:25-34

If you're a worrywart like me... Isn't it tempting sometimes to just worry away, even if you know God is in control? Why do we do it? Why not stop? ;) God is sovereign and He knows what's best for us. Even if He didn't work things out the way I wanted, I trust it will be for my good. What do you think?

Have a blessed week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...