Monday, February 11, 2013

The Glamour of Styling

Most people outside the fashion industry think it's such a glamorous job to be surrounded by excellent, creative professionals and drop-dead-gorgeous models, but there's more to the beautifully-produced final product than meets the eye. It's a lot of hard work, as you can see from this photo, which I still find absolutely hilarious ;p


I had just finished packing all our stuff from our day-long shoot, and this was my second trip to the car. After all the glitter has settled and the beautiful people gone, we stylists are usually the last on set to clean up, pack up, and wheel (or sometimes grunt) our way out. Haha. It's not very ladylike to grunt so I've trained myself to reduce it to deep breathing.


Over the last seven months I've been working with Sid, I've gotten so used to packing up that I've devised ways to organize, stack, pack, and load everything into the car within the least number of trips possible. As I was wheeling the rack outdoors, I suddenly remember those riddles we used to solve in school and among friends -- for example, the one where several people have to cross one bridge but only two can go at a time and only one can come back. So yes, I must emphasize that our work does require us to use a LOT of our brain cells.

Styling for a living has improved my physical stamina -- I've definitely got to walk briskly, work quickly, carry more stuff than I can ever imagine up flights of stairs and escalators to survive, exercised my mental faculties by remembering dates and details of shoots and projects, and forced me to get out of my hard, well-enforced introvert shell :)

As I wait for God's clarity on my career direction this year, I do everything with pride and joy, knowing all this is preparing me for a purpose. After all, I remember a dear mentor Mr. Francis Kong telling me, there are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...