Thursday, May 31, 2012

Clean-Up Day: Out with the old, in with the new!

A wise friend once told me that when girls wail "I have nothing to wear!!!" it really means "I have nothing new to wear." Merriam-Webster's definition of "new" include:
  1) having recently come into existence
  2) made or become fresh

So what's someone like me to do with a closet that's bursting at the seams and have "nothing to wear?" (Below is proof otherwise!)


Why, find something new from my stock of old, of course! :) So last Saturday, after a little coaxing and prodding, my cousin Erika came over and set off to do what very few people have succeeded in helping me do: weed out my closet.

Over the years, I have amassed a great deal of clothing from either high street or vintage stores, and I get emotionally attached to each one as some people do with art or their children (what a comparison!) So when I started holding out pieces for Erika's verdict -- even those that I didn't particularly care much about -- the process went by slowly and painfully for the first half hour or so.

Though much younger than me, Erika forcefully told me NO to things I shouldn't keep. It takes a lot of guts and love to tell me that, but she did.



"This is the first jacket I ever bought for myself. I bought it during a long break between classes, traveled with it to Europe, and kept me warm on 3-hour long Accounting tests."
"NO."


"See, it still fits! I can wear it over dresses, at the office, etc. etc."
"NO."


"But denim jackets are classiiiiiiic!"
"NO. Okay fine. You get to keep one."


Erika even held on to my denim jackets to make sure I won't put them back on the rack. Hihi. Talk about tough love!


At some point, I think she really wanted to give up on me, but I'm thankful she didn't. I love you, babe!!!



And even though my hoarder persona was crying inside, I was actually quite happy and relieved in more than one way!
1) I got to set aside all these:



And these:



There is a liberating feeling to not be controlled by one's possessions and emotions. And because I was able to let go of these pieces, I have more room for new ones*. Or room to breathe at least. Whew! It was getting a little suffocating in my room.

2) I get to help people who I think will look better in my clothes than I ever did. I handed a silver brocade jacket to my friend Kellda and she was thrilled! So was I -- she looked so good in it! (Must get a photo of her in it.)

3) And to tell you the truth, I discovered a lot of pieces I haven't taken a recent look at, such as these light wash flared jeans that still fit really well.**




For dinner out, I quickly threw on my new (one-month old) blousy shirt from Mango, a chain necklace, and elastic bracelet with my now-made-new, newly discovered jeans!*** It was a totally different look than usual. Yay!


4) Although the subject of my closet and clothing is nowhere near the gravity of what I'm about to say next, the whole experience reminded me of who we are in Christ Jesus when we put our faith in Him:

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"
2 Corinthians 5:17

When I hold on to old clothes, old habits, old ways of thinking, there's no room for anything new or better, and I won't be able to receive what's best for ME. It's like having the proverbial child's hand stuck in a jar because he won't let go of a coin when his father wants to give him a bill. So I guess... I'll be less of a hoarder now. Out with the old, in with the new! By God's grace!

Hollister jeans. Shirt from Mango. Gold Lion leather bag, thrifted. Gold chain necklace from H&M. Platform heels from Nine West.


-----------
* Ha! Spoken like a shopaholic!
** Thank you, God, for my metabolism! I haven't gained an inch in six years! This gift also compounds my ability to weed out my closet, by the way, because everything still fits.
*** I felt so good after cleaning out my wardrobe that I got rid of more stuff by myself after Erika went home. This totally surprised me, but I got the same adrenaline rush that I have after exercise. Hihi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...