Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It's a Jungle in Here, Chinese New Year Part 1

First of all, I'd like to greet everyone Kung Hei Fat Choi!!! I've been abundantly blessed this year and my prayer for all five of my readers is for you to be abundantly blessed as well.

I don't believe in superstition and I don't believe in fortune or luck. So when I told my friends I'd spend the day cleaning my desk, I received more than one shocked reaction because taking out junk on Chinese New Year is believed to "clean out good luck". Well, I reasoned I'd have a much better year and an overflow of opportunities if I could do actual work and meditation on my desk. You'd agree with me too if you had something like this, right?


I can hear the gasps of disgust / horror / disbelief. Yes, the above is my desk and I use it to blog, read, write notes, stack my jewelry, wrap gifts, and stash receipts and other last-minute items I need to take out of my bag. It is the receptacle of everything and anything that I deal with on a day-to-day basis and haven't had time to give it a second look. And although my desk looks very uhh, prosperous in the sense that it's teeming with life, I knew I had to do a complete overhaul. Today being a holiday was the perfect time to do it!

First, I took out all the non-moving inventory* from the whole unit and put them somewhere else, because every drawer and corner had to be productive. I filled one drawer with cords, chargers, and pouches that I use for when I need to stuff money and my driver's license in a teeny-tiny bag.


Another drawer now holds arm candy and hairbands.


I grouped like items together, such as pearl necklaces in this clear acrylic container. My desk is finally cleared from necklaces and jewelry!


Part of the cleaning process is finding treasure -- I found my Petron gas card and a gift certificate for Jamba Juice. Hooray! -- and loads of items that would benefit others more than they would me. Since I got Lasik last year, anyone want my old glasses? I know there must be a venue where I can donate the frames to... If you can refer me to someone who might need them, please let me know!


Inevitably, there comes a time in the entire cleaning process where my floor looks like this...


This is also the time I begin to lose hope and tear my hair out for even starting to change the status quo, albeit a very messy, unlivable status quo. Thankfully, I decided to go on the treadmill for fifteen minutes before lunch and went back to my room, raring to clear not just my desk, which it already was, but also the floor!

So finally, after a total of three hours, my table is an area of zen, efficiency, effectiveness, and all things positive. Here are before and after photos:

I gave myself a pat on the back (okay, maybe two) for accomplishing a daunting task**. Haha! I was especially happy giddy with delight upon the sight of my "outbox": stuff to return, stuff to give away, and stuff readied for work the next day.



What a productive New Year, huh? Praise God for arranging my schedule today :) Although my schedule didn't go as planned (I initially planned to run in the morning but slept in until 10 am instead), I got to finish my top priorities and feel unburdened and more prosperous already! So for anyone who's struggling to clean her room / desk, do not fret; what I thought was impossible was accomplished through Him who gives me strength.

And this is just the first part of my Chinese New Year!!! To be continued tomorrow :)

----------
* Wow, is it me or am I talking like a nuthead? Non-moving inventory meaning things I don't use on a day-to-day basis.
** Usually, my clean-up day results in a clear desk but a very cluttered floor :p

1 comment:

  1. Kung Hei Fat Choi to you too Jill :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...