Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Feminine Monk (or How NOT to Look Like a Monk)

I can't help but think of a monk when I see this pink blouse I purchased last year in Adora.


With its high-necked rounded collar and loose sleeves that reach below the elbows, the wearer has the potential to look like this:


But given my penchant for weird (and loose) pieces, I bought it anyway, knowing I'll be able to do a lot with it. Here's my first look.

I certainly hope I look much better than the monk in the previous photo!



So here's the step-by-step guide on how NOT to look like a monk (even though you're wearing his clothes):

1) Layer the monk blouse over a dress. Worn here with a black LBD, the monkish blouse now doubles as a light jacket, perfect for the humid on-and-off-rainy weather today.

2) Leave unbuttoned and accessorize with a chunky neckpiece.





3) Fold the sleeves once to keep the look current (and avoid adding 5 years to your age).


4) For the slim ones like me, cinch the blouse with a belt to create the illusion of hips ;) See those pleats?


Leaving the blouse unbuttoned also allows you to move around freely, even when seated. Don't you just hate it when you're all buttoned up and you can't budge?


So there you have it in four easy steps -- how NOT to look like a monk. Or how to have fun if you look like one. I know I did ;)

Happy Tuesday!

Dress from Mango. Blouse from Harlan + Holden at Adora. Pumps from Staccato. Necklace from 168 Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...